Re: DSRM is ....

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:10:17 +1000, "Trevor Edmonds"
<trevor_edmonds@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>Les Brown wrote...
>
>> If someone is prepared to pay whateber it takes; $2,000 to Kyogle,
>> $20,000 to Sydney or $50,000 to Melbourne in order to get use out of
>> your loco, why not?
>
>The costs are not proportional to the distance. Most of the costs are in
>dismantling/loading and unloading/assembly.
>
>> GNR are prepared to pay much more for a working 44.
>
>Then they should contact DSRM with a proposal.
>
>> Even if DSRM themselves paid to send it to Melbourne, it would
>> make up the costs in less than a month and anything after that is
>> cream.
>
>That would be about $25 - $30,000 to get it there and a similar amount to
>get it back. Who do you know who would be prepared to pay $60,000 to dry
>hire a 44 for a month. If hiring out is so lucrative, why are there numerous
>44s stored around NSW?

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!!!!

WHO THE BLOODY HELL NEEDS THE MONEY??  GNR OR DSRM?

Stop your griping about how poor DSRM is and how the council want
$150,000 to fix up some level crossing and how you guys have to fix up
some bridge, and how you have to pay all these legal costs, because
you are NOT serious, are you?

Why should GNR contact you? You say you need the money, YOU SHOULD
RING THEM!

And for crying out loud, who said anything about hiring a loco just
for ONE month?

And just how many 44's are there around Australia, just waiting to be
hired out? Far from there being "numerous 44s stored around NSW" I'd
be surprised to find any, just waiting to be hired out in any sort of
working order. None of the 44's that GNR bought were in working order.
It was pure luck that 4471 was able to be got going quickly and
cheaply.

Does anyone on this n.g. know of a 44, or any loco at all over and
above 1500KW, that can be hired out?

Your arguments are totally irrational, Trevor. Your are trying to prop
up a facade of poverty and dire need when all I can see is insularity,
secretiveness and a lack of concern for this country's rail heritage.

You should be deeply ashamed of your organisation.

Les Brown