Re: Overland to continue 4 another 2 years

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:50:12 GMT, "Peter Berrett"
<pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:

>"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>3b241df6.4307277@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3b241df6.4307277@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:04:05 GMT, RC <richy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>funding hi speed railways and that any such railways have to be
>> completely developed and paid for by the private sector.
>> My argument is that a privately funded hi speed railway cannot work in
>> Australia with our limited population.
>>
>> MD
>>

>What about ATEC's Melbourne to Brisbane proposal - doesn't that meet your
>definition of a privately funded high speed railway?
>
>cheers Peter

Its not hi speed , 115 km/h , uses a lot of existing Govt owned track
, and at this stage is still only a proposal.
And more importantly , it also requires Govt tax concessions , the
very irems that scuttled both the original Melb - Sydney VFT and the
Canberra - Sydney VFT.

MD