Re: Overland to continue 4 another 2 years

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:04:05 GMT, RC <richy@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Maurie Daly wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 06:45:54 GMT, "Peter Berrett"
>> <pberrett@optushome.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> >"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> >3b21bcaf.7540732@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3b21bcaf.7540732@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>> >
>> >It gives you something to an idea of what speed you need to average.
>> >Simplistic yes, practical yes also.

>> >routing the
>> >line .
>> >
>> >Why is this? If this is so perhaps consideration needs to be given to dual
>> >gauging the broad gauge line to Newport.
>>
>> Its simply because of the route that the SG line takes to get to
>> Newport.
>> Peter, can I take from your comments that you havnt actually travelled
>> by train from Melb to Adelaide.
>> If so , then I suggest you do so before continuing this discussion.

>> >places

>> >Why not? Can the line take it?
>>
>> Not in Victoria without a good deal of re ballasting .

>> >Look at France. Look at the patronage success of the TGV. Plus you have two
>> >major cities with various incentives (football, shopping, cinema...) for
>> >people to travel from one city to the other. Build it and they will come.
>>
>> The population of France is 60 million people living in a country
>> smaller than the State of NSW.
>> Paris alone has a population of 11 million people .
>> There is no comparison whatsoever between the European situation
>> and Australia .
>> We simply dont have enuf people to justify or support very fast trains
>> .
>
>We get this argument spoken with authority in this NG all the time - but does
>anyone see through it?
>
>NSW and France are about the same size - France has (say) 60 million people and
>NSW about 6 million - therefore ten times the size
>The argument appears to stand
>
>NSW and Sweden are about the same size, NSW has the same 6 million it did in the
>previous assertion, Sweden has about 8 million (only 1/3rd more people) Sweden
>also has widespread electrification, Tilt Trains (yes and we've seen them and
>some of us have ridden on them) their trains can do **over** 200km/h, they've
>just built a tunnel under the sea to Denmark, Stockholm has a decent underground
>and Goteborg has decent light rail etc etc etc etc...The argument above is
>looking a bit shaky
>
>NSW (Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong) are about the same size as Switzerland -
>NSW (Newcastle Sydney and Wollongong) have about 5 million people and Switzerland
>about 7 million (similar ratio as above) and both are characterised by rugged
>terrain, dispersed population, Switzerland has a much better road network, trains
>going as fast as the can and often faster than here in the rugged terrain,
>clockwork timetables, clean, easy to use, seamless mixture of public and private.
>
>The population argument is looking very shaky now

> [...]

I dont quite understand your argurments.
In Sweden, France, Switzerland the Railway system is paid for and
provided for by the National Govt of the country in question.
Here in Australia this is not the case , the railways are State
responsibilities.
There is no doubt that if the federal Govt in Australia wanted to ,
and the States agreed to let it , that a hi speed rail system could be
built and it would work well.
However , the Feds have indicated that they are not interested in
funding hi speed railways and that any such railways have to be
completely developed and paid for by the private sector.
My argument is that a privately funded hi speed railway cannot work in
Australia with our limited population.

MD