Re: Overland to continue 4 another 2 years

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:26:03 +1000, "Les Chandra"
<les_chandra@asparagus.hotmail.com> wrote:

>The plans that I last saw from AN was for a total bypass of the Adelaide
>hills. It would have been an upgrade of the Monarto South - Cambrai (or
>wherever the terminus is) line, extension through to the Barossa then down
>through Gawler to Adelaide.
>
>I haven't seen the report for about a decade, but from memory, the line
>would be cheaper to operate than the line through the hills (lighter
>gradients), but would be significantly longer and thus no quicker.
>
>Better for freight. No benefit for pax.
>
>Les

Yes thats correct .
The only realistic way to get any improvement for passengers with the
current infrastructure is to run XPT style trains instead of the
Overland.
The existing line is ideally suited to this as it has many long
straight flat sections where 160 KM/H could be sustained for long
distances .
On the SA side the track is of high quality and has excellent ride.
Even in Vic where the line is 60 KG/M and this is now most of the way
160 km./h should be possible even now .
All that would be needed is to re design the protected level crossing
track ccts for the higher speeds.
An XPT would also be quicker thru the Adelaide hills due to its much
higher power to weight ratio, especially with the new XP power cars
that Countrylink now have.

MD