Re: Overland to continue 4 another 2 years

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:19:36 +1000, "Paul Jones"
<zifnab_spam_@goconnect.net> wrote:

>"David Johnson" <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>dhavhtge1n01eaqa9p0ss1m9a2df7gft6l@4ax.com">news:dhavhtge1n01eaqa9p0ss1m9a2df7gft6l@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 03:55:23 GMT, mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >An XPT would also be quicker thru the Adelaide hills due to its much
>> >higher power to weight ratio, especially with the new XP power cars
>> >that Countrylink now have.
>>
>> And the 5 trailers!
>>
>> Maybe Countrylink could run an XPT SYD-ADL-MEL-SYD and have another
>> one going the other way?
>
>Once you get west of orange those things would FLY!!!!!
>
>But I can't say I would like to travel on an XPT for that long.....
>

>--
>Paul Jones
>http://pj_rail.tripod.com
>(Updated 23 May)

I dont think that anyone would seriously consider an XPT service from
Sydney to Adelaide as its just too far and too long , but an XPT
service from Melb to Adelaide has a lot of merit.
It could be done in about 8 hours with the current infrastructure
and 160 KM/H running.
Which begs the question , does GSR have a monopoly on the Melb -
Adelaide route ??

MD