Re: [MELB] City Loop issues

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> writes:

>I don't think the disruption is as bad as you and Peter make it out to be.
>Flinders St gets a faster service, Spencer St gets a faster service,
>Flagstaff gets a faster service, Museum is about the same, Parliament is
>about 4 minutes slower. This is hardly enough to qualify as "disruption".

Hmmm. I beg to differ as regards to Museum (given that there's now three
stops as opposed to one). I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on Flagstaff,
but only because I can't be bothered looking up timetables at the moment ;)

I also have my doubts about their ability to reduce the time at Flinders St.
In my experience (up until December 1999) trains have always taken an
excruciatingly long time to get from Richmond to Flinders St. They just
crawl. I don't know whether it's still the case now, but it was very annoying
then.

And I believe you've mentioned cutting the delay at Flinders St to one or
two minutes - even this is too long, in my opinion. If you really wanted
a change of direction to succeed, the stop at Flinders St would have to be
no longer than a stop at any other station.

>As for your point about it being withdrawn without negative response, this
>was back in the days when it was all operated by one body (The Met) - now
>that it is all split up and privatised, I would have thought that a train
>operator would be looking to keep passengers on it rather than sending them
>off to the opposition (Yarra/M>Tram).

Yeah. However, this is a completely different matter altogether. I've made
my thoughts on the notion of "competing public transport companies" quite
clear in the past ;)

Cheers,

Paul.

--