Re: [MELB] City Loop issues

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> writes:

>"Paul Dwerryhouse" <paul+usenet@dwerryhouse.com.au> wrote in message
>9ajo2i$59i$1@merrick.home">news:9ajo2i$59i$1@merrick.home...

>> Easy. Put the city circle trains back into service.

>We know that is not going to happen - if a government body cut them because
>of costs, do you really see a private crowd putting them back on?

No. However, if the number of people actively using them was so few that the
service can be cut at all without an overwhelming negative response, then
is there really any point disrupting a _huge_ chunk of Melbourne's commuters
by diverting services on Melbourne's busiest rail line in the opposite
direction around the loop?

The vast majority of travellers on the Burnley group are coming from the
Ringwood lines or the Glen Wavelerly line and are travelling to Parliament,
Museum and Flagstaff stations. It makes sense that these people can get to
their destination as quickly as possibly, without changing trains.

Mind you, I doubt that the City Circle cost that much to run. I believe it
was more bloody-mindedness on behalf of Kennett and his cronies.
They wanted to cut rail services, and in the City Circle they saw something
that could be cut without incurring the wrath of a localised community
(as opposed to the Williamstown and Upfield lines).

Really, how much would it cost to run a single carriage (if they had such
a thing) around the loop every ten minutes - you'd need probably two drivers
at a time, at most?

Cheers,

Paul

--