Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39d4b155$0$26528$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39d4b155$0$26528$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Dave Proctor"
> > "Tezza"
> >>"Dave Proctor"
>
> Is this thread still going? I thought it died a natural death.

I have been busy and unable to answer.

> > 1445 for your 1450 train to the airport (from Central),
> > >
> > > Again you're adding travel time to the plane that you're not adding to
the
> > > train.
> >
> > No I am not. I am using a common starting point.
>
> Which just happens to be the VFT's starting point.

And also happens to be a point that most travellers to the airport pass
through.

> >If I was adding travel time
> > to the plane that is not added to the plane
>
> I gather you mean train?

Remarkably perceptive.

> > I would be using the time from
> > Penrith. Most people travel through Central when going to the Airport by
> > public transport (the majority of people).
>
> Most people don't go to the airport by train.

But they still go through Central (Airport Express bus - goes through
Central after the Quay/Kings Cross).

> > Since Central is common to both,
> > it is a valid place to start from.
>
> I disagree 100%. It'd be like me trying to use the boarding gate at the
airport as a starting point (Yes, I know it's not common,
> but it makes just as much sense.)

What a lot of rot. Most people do go through Central, even those staying in
the City at CBD hotels go past Central on their way to the airport. If you
are going to count travelling time, you should say something like "taxi - 25
mins to airport, 5 mins to Central" - much easier to just use Central as a
starting point, since that is where most people go through.

> > >  getting you to Domestic
> > >
> > > I've heard it's less than 5 minutes.
> >
> > I have walked it - it is more.
>
> You must be an old fart. :-)

I had baggage.

> > One thing you have not attemtped to counter Tezza is that overseas
> > experience has shown that when city-centre to city-centre is around 3
hours
> > by rail, as opposed to around an hour by plane from airport to airport
(i.e.
> > identical situation to Sydney) the train wins hands down.
>
> I have no experience with that. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just
stating my opinion and trying to get you to compare apples
> with apples, not apples with oranges.

I am comparing apples with apples.

Dave