Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"Dave Proctor"
> "Tezza"
>>"Dave Proctor"

Is this thread still going? I thought it died a natural death.

> > > No, you arrive at 1445 for a 1500 departure - just like you arrive at
> 1445 for your 1450 train to the airport (from Central),
> >
> > Again you're adding travel time to the plane that you're not adding to the
> > train.
>
> No I am not. I am using a common starting point.

Which just happens to be the VFT's starting point.

>If I was adding travel time
> to the plane that is not added to the plane

I gather you mean train?

> I would be using the time from
> Penrith. Most people travel through Central when going to the Airport by
> public transport (the majority of people).

Most people don't go to the airport by train.

> Since Central is common to both,
> it is a valid place to start from.

I disagree 100%. It'd be like me trying to use the boarding gate at the airport as a starting point (Yes, I know it's not common,
but it makes just as much sense.)

> >  getting you to Domestic
> > > at 1500, plus ten minutes walk time to the check-in counters,
> >
> > I've heard it's less than 5 minutes.
>
> I have walked it - it is more.

You must be an old fart. :-)

> One thing you have not attemtped to counter Tezza is that overseas
> experience has shown that when city-centre to city-centre is around 3 hours
> by rail, as opposed to around an hour by plane from airport to airport (i.e.
> identical situation to Sydney) the train wins hands down.

I have no experience with that. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just stating my opinion and trying to get you to compare apples
with apples, not apples with oranges.

> Why is it so
> different overseas that it can work there but will not work here? This has
> been pointed out ad nauseum, with no response from any of the knockers.

I wouldn't class myself as a knocker as I'd like to see it go ahead. I just know that eventually, like so many other large projects,
they'll either enact anti-competition laws and/or the taxpayer will cop it in some way.