Re: Latest news on Speedrail

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39cf7b0c$0$26540$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39cf7b0c$0$26540$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message

> > > Around a 4 hour trip each way by train destination to destination, may
> > give him productive time enroute, but it hardly leaves any time for his
> > meeting.
> >
> > 3 hours was the proposal (and it was achievable)
>
> But Scotty isn't gonna beam you on board, there's still the travel time
each end
> that was added for plane travel, there's still the check-in time, there's
still
> the boarding time. You don't arrive on the platform at 2.59 for a 3.00
> departure.

No, you arrive at 1445 for a 1500 departure - just like you arrive at 1445
for your 1450 train to the airport (from Central), getting you to Domestic
at 1500, plus ten minutes walk time to the check-in counters, getting you
there at 1510.

Putting it another way, I would leave Penrith at 1330 for my 1500 SpeedRail
train to Melbourne. I would have to leave Penrith no later than 1300 for a
1500 flight. SpeedRail would have my in Melbourne at 1800 (journey time 4.5
hours from Penrith), I would be at Spencer St no earlier that 1715 if I flew
(4.25 hours, 15 minutes quicker).

>  - and compare it to the
> > current situation. Although this brings me back to my thoughts that
there is
> > a market for an overnight sleeping service, appropriatelt priced, and
> > CORRECTLY MARKETTED to the business community - and the operators paying
> > premium for priority. 1900 departure each end, 0700 arrival, arrive
> > refreshed (after a shower and breakfast, dinner and breakfast included
in
> > the fare, and tickets interchangeable with the airlines) and it would
work
> > (countless of my corporate clients told me so).
>
> As long as it was cheaper than plane/hotel combined.

Of course. I made that proviso to the corporates concerned.

Dave