Re: Signaller causes SPAD

<antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message 8qdv5s$raa$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8qdv5s$raa$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>   "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> > I would say they put some trust in the signaller.
>
> We certainly wouldn't. In any case I was referring to other illegal
> instructions e.g. unauthorised wrong direction movements that some Line
> Controllers have ocasionally done.

I don't know of any instances of that happening (except maybe setting back),
but I.m sure it happens.

> Once you start breaking the rules then a accident becomes more and more
> likely as more shotrcuts.
>
> I've heard a rumour that anyone wanting to become a Line Controller is
> asked "Would you break the rules in order to avoid delays to the
> service?"
>
> A "no" answer usually guarantees that the applicant is rejected.

I'd believe that 100%. I've had many experiences myself of signallers and
controllers giving illegal instructions, but nothing ever happens to them.
Management supports them because they were trying to keep the trains moving,
which is more important than anything else.