Re: Far northern tilt train on schedule

build the railway line electric
> wire in the south between Rockampton and Brisbane.
>
> Yes, it made sense not to build it at this stage, but I was wondering
when I
> would ever see it.  I guess, never me thinks for between cairns and
> rockhampton.
Fossil fuel would ran out one day:-)

Electrifrication reduce the travel time...but not sufficient to compete
with highway trucks, QR need to run more trains to recover from this
cost but it does not have the potential to attract more tonnage at the
moment. QR's further upgrade to the mainlines in the future would help
and eventually add more trains on this line to justify the cost of
electrifrication.

At the same time there are lots of freight from Sydney and Melbourne
through to Northern and Central Queensland currently carry by trucks.
If QR can attract more interstate business(like their NQ direct
service) electrifrication would be more economical.

Also Rocky-Cairns section have lots of timber bridges/road-rail share
section plus steep grade and tight curves. It would be wiser to upgrade
to satisfy condition before electrifrication can go ahead.

> I think it's pointless to do electric wiring at this stage because
they are
> going to build the Melbourne and Adelide to Darwin rail links.  I
probably
> will never see any electric trains in the North Queensland or Northern
> Territory.
Don't hold your breath....they also said the same thing with
Speedrail.....Darwin-Alice Spring line hasn't signed yet.

> Would climate be a factor along with the cost?  Maybe too hot or too
risky
> with tropical cyclones in the North Queensland or Northern Territory?

  Guess what?  they also had a dam, but then it's set to be
> decommissioned when the mine closes down.  It's about 100 kms north
west of
> Greenvale, which used to have a railway line (now it's shut and
decayed) and
> that line used to go to a mine near Greenvale, again it was shut -
reserves
> ran out.  I was touring the area on the way to the Gulf last easter.
>
> But the line between Normanton and Croydon still operates as a
tourist line.

> William Walker

Depends on the tourism potential...i have been told Greenvale line is a
very scenic line. As well as the avaiablility of the suitable rolling
stock.....maybe a 2000 class railcar?

--
Cheers

RR3