Re: Signaller causes SPAD

"Peter Dwyer" <peter.dwyer@qr.com.au> wrote in message
> <antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message 8qdv5s$raa$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8qdv5s$raa$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

> > I've heard a rumour that anyone wanting to become a Line Controller is
> > asked "Would you break the rules in order to avoid delays to the
> > service?"
> >
> > A "no" answer usually guarantees that the applicant is rejected.
>

> A controller is usually considered to be the ultimate authority for
> directing traffic on a railway line. If they say do it, they want it done.
>
> Of course if something happens, then it's their responsibility too. Part
of
> the job.

If something happens they always get out of it. One of their stock answers
is "I wasn't given all the information".

There was a good instance on Cityrail around 4 or 5 years ago. They were
trying to order Drivers to continue into the City Circle when there'd been a
bomb threat. Drivers were refusing and the controllers got quite pissed off.

Management then made a change to Safeworking that Drivers had to obey
Controllers - they removed the phrase that said unless it contravened
Safeworking or it wasn't safe to carry out the order. So once again,
management put ontime running ahead of safety. The Union put a ban on that
amendment.