Re: Signaller causes SPAD

In article <8q8iht$esk$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  signal_spotter@my-deja.com wrote:

> > Then comes the scary bit. The Signaller instructs the driver to
> proceed
> > over points even though they have not being scotched and clipped (we
> > are not talking about remote securing points here). Even scarier is
> > that many drivers obey this instruction.
>
> The points would be held by 1)APPROACH LOCKING, 2)ROUTE LOCKING and 3)
> TRACK LOCKING. Scotched and clipped (or clipped and locked in NSW) is
> just a 'belt and braces' safeworking requirement. The safety of the
> system would not have been compromised by the signaller instructing
you
> to proceed.

That's an interesting point which no doubt my signal engineer friends
will confirm. However I don't know of any driver being disciplined for
insisting on points being scotched and clipped.

Also a green signal confirms that the points are locked whereas if a
signaller throws a stick back the signal could fail (rare admittedly)
at the same time as the signaller threw back the stick.

We say scotch and clip because you put in the scotch first in case the
points accidentally throw.

Regards

Frank