Re: Siege Mentality? (was Re: RTM 19th Century Treasures)

Trevor Edmonds wrote:

> The Army preferred to move them by rail. They even built wagons (the TE
> class) for the prupose. Since we announced we are going to try to purchase a
> tank, an army tank instructor has provided us a lot of detail on how this
> was done (together with a sizable cash contribution).

How do you expect anyone to take the DSR&M seriously when you haven't
restored anything and you are now collecting army tanks? What's next,
cattle for your livestock wagons!?!?!?

While acquiring loads for your wagons is a reasonable idea, a tank is a
large item that would take a fair bit to maintain, even cosmetically.
There are smaller, cheaper and easier to maintain loads that can be
acquired. This is a classic example of the DSR&M's collecting obsession
that many railfans have an objection to. I thought 4602 was extravagant,
but this is ridiculous.

In the future, if you're established then you could possibly hire an
army vehicle from a military preservation group for special events. This
would be a much more sensible course of action that wouldn't divert
resources from looking after your already over-sized collection. Dorrigo
seems to have this mentality of trying to do everything. If Dorrigo
actually stopped collecting and started restoring, they may get
somewhere.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: