Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

Dave Proctor wrote:

> And they are noramlly displayed on different media, which is totally
> different to photos on the net, which are displayed on the same media.

But the photos are scanned from a 35mm slide or negative, which means
the ratio should be the same if you want to make it look like the
original photo.

> > It's like trying to display a widescreen movie on a TV.
>
> As I said above.

And haven't you noticed that some people like movies in the wide screen
letterbox format?

> I wonder about this - the standard is 800x600 (which you conveniently fail
> to address as to why it is the standard)

You are the one who claims this is the standard desktop size.

> - this adopts a ratio of 4:3 - i.e.
> the height is 4/3 the width - yet you adopt a ratio of 3:2 - it strikes me
> as weird that if I want to use one of your pics as a desktop, I have to
> stretch it somehow (so as to fit into my desktop).

It has to be cropped, not stretched. How can you stretch a 600 pixel
high image to 600 pixels high?!?!?!

> > Another advantage with the 900x600 size is that it can be displayed at a
> > good size on a 1024x768 or higher desktop.
>
> Sometimes. I have mine higher than 1024x768, but with all the other things I
> have going, sometimes I do not wish to devote my whole screen to one window.
>
> Again, this is my choice, but since I (and other website owners) design our
> sites so that people who wish to do so can do so with the minimum of fuss,
> we do so in order to reduce fuss. A site which increases fuss is one to be
> avoided, so someone who increases fuss leads me to ask the question "Why
> bother"?

So don't bother, see if I care. There are plenty of people who like my
site. You obviously want everything your way with no compromise
whatsoever.

> I have a 21" which I run at 1024x768 - I have run it at 800x600 when my
> mother is on it (she is a gunzel as well).
>
> But this gets back to the arrogance I mentioned before - why should everyone
> else have to change their settings just to satisfy your own desires? 800x600
> is the standard, if you want to provide images larger than this, by all
> means do so, but don't make them the ONLY link from the thumbnalis.

Why should I have to provide images specially sized for your needs? Then
I would have to get rid of the high quality images because I would have
less space. You are arrogant if you expect everyone to modify their
images to suit your needs. I am not the only one who likes hi-res
images.

> Not all of us are at that primary school colloquially known as RMIT.

Well it is one of the most respected Computer Science courses in
Australia and one of the top two in Melbourne.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au