Re: Bus-train integration (was Free Ride (Victoria))

> Compare this to
> Sydney where even if you want to make separate trips between three or more
> destinations in one day on one single mode, you have to buy separate
tickets
> for each journey or pay for some expensive tourist ticket like DayRover
for
> CityRail....... and don't get me started on lack of integration between
> those loathsome western-suburbs private bus operators and the main rail
> network, in terms of ticketing AND timetabling.
Can you use  DayRover ticket on Airport service(Train/bus) the Sydney
Explorer? Monorail? SLRT??? NOOOOO!

> Also, the extensive network of trams in Melbourne - from a purely
> engineering standpoint, buses are usually better than trams - after all
> they're not fixed to an immutable route; they don't require
> points-switching; and can easily overtake slower, busier buses, and come
in
> a wide variety of shapes and sizes . However, trams hold a special appeal
> people to encourage people to use them. As former Mayor of Los Angeles
> Thomas Bradley once said, "Rail is sexy and buses are boring". I know very
> few people who salivate over a bus (well, maybe a couple, but they're well
> in the minority). Buses aren't as comfortable either.
Not  to mention those dodge private operators who have no interest on
increase patrons.

> Melbourne's system will never be good as most European cities either. The
> ultra-low metropolitan density, flat terrain and relative ease of parking
> downtown will make sure of that. Europe is a different kettle of fish.
No cross city service at all(Burke Road/Bell Street/Springvale Rd/Stud Rd),
and aren't able to cope with Suburban expansion. Most tram lines don't go
further then 15 KM away from CBD.  Trams don't co-ordinate with trains most
of the time.

> However, the thing I don't like about Melbourne - the complete dearth of
> late-night running.
Even worst if you have to rely on V/line. (Sunbury, Donnybrook, Narnargoon
or Lara/Melton).

> Sydney has more express trains as well and
> much more extensive electrification (c'mon, when's Craigieburn and Melton
> going to be electrified?)
Cragy by 2002, Melton to be serve by high speed DMUs
There will be Express suburban trains running during the day soon on
Belgrave/Lilydale and Frankston/Paken-Cranborne line soon

Cheers
james