Re: Bus-train integration (was Free Ride (Victoria))

James C wrote in message <3932650b$0$2617@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...

>Not  to mention those dodge private operators who have no interest on
>increase patrons.

Which brings me to another question - why are private bus operators in
Sydney (and it also appears, Melbourne) so ^&$#^&*ing dodgy? Experience in
other areas of service provision (e.g. electricity and other utilities,
health services, road construction etc.) shows that the private sector is
generally more efficient and more 'customer-oriented) than the bureacratic
public sector. But why not in public transport? I, as an amateur transport
geek, can think of 1001 things bus operators can do to improve patronage and
customer relations. But it would appear that bus companies are quite content
to bumble along not giving two solid sh**s about their passengers without
worrying about increasing passenger numbers, therefore revenues, therefore
profits. Any possible theories, anyone?

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the above and can't think of a
single reason Why This Is So!

Regards,
Bradley.