Re: Bus-train integration (was Free Ride (Victoria))

> Buses are run by so many different companies and demanding different
things,
> I guess it would be easier to regulate tram/train companies.

Partly because buses have always been the poor cousins and have always
been run by a plethora of private operators. With the trams and trains
at least the govt can say "keep doing whatever youre already doing" and
leave it at that.

> Example Bundoora area is highly populated plus two major universities
but
> without a proper service to nearby railway station. Buses runs very
rarely
> or most of the time cancell without notice, especially National's
Latrobe
> university route 250/251.

Quite true - though the Latrobe Uni bus that comes up from Clifton Hill
really should be abolished (and parts of it replaced with shorter, more
frequent, direct routes). It duplicates the tram, and it also
duplicates the most logical way to get to latrobe from there which is
train to macleod and then a frequent bus that meets the trains.

> Macleod/Reservior are just a stone throw to Latrobe university and
RMIT is a
> stone throw to Thomastown and Greensborough bus students in both
university
> drive mostly (included myself) due to the poor public transport
service.

Even I drive to Latrobe some days. I certainly think twice before
subjecting myself to Yarra Trams service, especially if I'm coming back
late at night after the freq. has dropped or if its raining.

> Route 86 tram is good but unable to serve people live anywhere other
then
> Plenty road

I live 20m from High St Northcote and it still doesn't provide really
good service. Its too slow and the frequencies are too low, and it
doesn't integrate well with the Uni (a long walk with no weather
shelter).

> Trams/train co-ordiantion is very important as well. Every afternoon
peak
> there are so many commuters take trams to Melbourne Central/Flinder or
> Spencer street for train service. But trams operatros can't really
run a
> shuttle service  on Collin/Burke/Swanston/Flinder street therefore
usual
> tram users squeeze with train commuters.

Train/Tram co-ordination in the inner city is best achieved simply by
high frequencies (5 mins or better) on the CBD tram lines. As several
routes run along the four streets you mention this shouldn't be a
problem provided all tram routes run to 10 mins or better frequencies
even late at night and on weekends.

> And trams usually terminates (Reservior/ Carnige) long way from nearby
> railway station.

Carnegie is right,
The #11 tram probably should not be seen as a feeder to the train at
reservoir (buses can do that) but more as a service towards the city
and to intermediate destinations like Brunswick St. It should
interchange better at Thornbury really (all those trams should be
linked into the station)

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.