Re: [NSW] AC traction motors for Tangara's?

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
3916a9d4$0$31539@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3916a9d4$0$31539@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> yes, 60 cars out of something like 400, that's a lot wasn't it?!?
>
> the whole HK fleet was ALREADY air conditioned in 1980, not like our K
sets needing another
> $10million to air condition the remaining 80 or so cars

Single deck carriages are a lot easier to air-condition than double deck
carriages. The U-sets were relatively easy to air-condition in 1969 when
they were being built, as they were longer so there was ample room for the
control equipment to be located alongside the air-conditioning unit.

But don't forget that it was not until the late 1960's that the electrical
equipment was small enough to enable them to have DD driving motor cars.
Prior to this, it was too bulky, adn there was no room for it on a DD car.
If they only just managed to squeeze the control equipment in, what hope was
there for A/C equipment?

Dave