Re: [NSW] AC traction motors for Tangara's?

In article <8f2q5g$9qu$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <eikkert@my-deja.com> wrote:

>> How economically viable is it to convert the system over to AC? Cost
>> versus benefit?
>
>Personally, I doubt it'd be done en masse, not yet. Perhaps in a half
>life overhaul?

 The first Tangara sets are nearing half-life overhaul stage. Nearly 15 years
since the first one arrived and did all those promotonal runs for the Unsworth
electon campain towed by a diesel.

 It is also not known internationally for EMU's to be refitted with different
motor control technology at their mid-life heavy overhaul. I have read of
cam-shaft DC emu's becommng VVVF inverter AC motored EMU's. (Washington DC?)

 A Tangara would be relatively easy to convert, as the traction system is
modular. At the half-life refit they would be replacing the power cables
anyway, so at that time they can make sure the motor feed cables are suitable.
The actual chopper unit is in a easly removeable pod. No problems there. The
motors are also modular - replace the bogie!

 Recently I thought I heard a T set make noises like G7. I thought I was
imagining things. Possibly not....