Re: [NSW] AC traction motors for Tangara's?

Hong Kong converted their first generation (?) underground trains from
camshaft to chopper control at their mid-life overhaul.  This was mentioned
in "Modern Railways" UK mag some time in the last 12-18 months.  Electricity
consumption savings and maintenance savings will more than pay for the
conversion.

Chris

Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
8f4ucc$38v$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:8f4ucc$38v$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> In article <8f2q5g$9qu$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <eikkert@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >> How economically viable is it to convert the system over to AC? Cost
> >> versus benefit?
> >
> >Personally, I doubt it'd be done en masse, not yet. Perhaps in a half
> >life overhaul?
> >

>  The first Tangara sets are nearing half-life overhaul stage. Nearly 15
years
> since the first one arrived and did all those promotonal runs for the
Unsworth
> electon campain towed by a diesel.
>
>  It is also not known internationally for EMU's to be refitted with
different
> motor control technology at their mid-life heavy overhaul. I have read of
> cam-shaft DC emu's becommng VVVF inverter AC motored EMU's. (Washington
DC?)

>  A Tangara would be relatively easy to convert, as the traction system is
> modular. At the half-life refit they would be replacing the power cables
> anyway, so at that time they can make sure the motor feed cables are
suitable.
> The actual chopper unit is in a easly removeable pod. No problems there.
The