Re: Difference between CLF & CLP loco's?

> They certainly did not have EMD's super series traction
> control, but they emerged from the rebuild with "speedo
> cables" on each axle, I always thought this was an M-K
> brewed form of traction control.
> I have not seen a CLP since July 1997 when 10 & 14
> arrived on the Ghan up here just prior to the "sale" of
> Australian National.

The the CLP's became know as Rent-A-Heap here in NSW when being used
on the Indian due to reliability problems.

I liked working them as the Cab was quite comfortable and they do
look good. When they were Introduced to WL1 (the Indian)here in NSW
it didn't take long before they started to show their poor reliability
traits. I don't know what the big problem was with AN but they
certainly couldn't get them to run right. At least a half doz. times
that I worked the Indian with them on it we had problems. Most of
the time it revolved around the MK Computer. In desperation when
trying to get them to go we would often shut one down pull the battery
switch and wait a few minutes then re-start it. This often fixed the
problem. I was once told that the MK Computer didn't have enough
capacity for the task and this was were most of the trouble was.
They did have a MK computer based Wheel Slip System similar to
Super Series. When I get a chance I will try and find out the
details of it. I never had any trouble with the HEP units although
one Lithgow Driver did tell me he had to take some offline once
and use the second units HEP.

--

Pope

Alias	John MacCallum