Re: Difference between CLF & CLP loco's?

John MacCallum <johnmac@lisp.com.au> wrote:

> The the CLP's became know as Rent-A-Heap here in NSW when being used
> on the Indian due to reliability problems.
>
> I liked working them as the Cab was quite comfortable and they do
> look good. When they were Introduced to WL1 (the Indian)here in NSW
> it didn't take long before they started to show their poor reliability
> traits. I don't know what the big problem was with AN but they
> certainly couldn't get them to run right. At least a half doz. times
> that I worked the Indian with them on it we had problems. Most of
> the time it revolved around the MK Computer. In desperation when
> trying to get them to go we would often shut one down pull the battery
> switch and wait a few minutes then re-start it. This often fixed the
> problem. I was once told that the MK Computer didn't have enough
> capacity for the task and this was were most of the trouble was.
> They did have a MK computer based Wheel Slip System similar to
> Super Series. When I get a chance I will try and find out the
> details of it. I never had any trouble with the HEP units although
> one Lithgow Driver did tell me he had to take some offline once
> and use the second units HEP.

The electronics installed by MK were the biggest
problem with the CLP, they managed to turn a super
reliable loco into a _very_ unreliable loco.

WL1, Hmmm!.  Somebody from NSW advised me recently in
this group that NSW "always" used AN/ARTC train
numbers, and never NSW train numbers for "national"
trains.!  I am still confused on this.?

----Tell
Alice Springs
<< Remove 01 for email reply >>