Re: Difference between CLF & CLP loco's?

In article <394D8C8E.469AF997@ozemail.com.au> Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: Jonathan Lau <jonlau@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Difference between CLF & CLP loco's?
>Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:59:26 +1000

>Peter Mason wrote:

>> To quote the CLF/CLP page from
>> http://locopage.railpage.org.au/anr/clfclp.html the difference between CLF &
>> CLP loco's is the following:
>>
>> Mass 129 t (CLF) 131 t (CLP)
>> Speed 130 km/h (CLF) 140 km/h (CLP)
>>
>> Also from the CLF/CLP page "After they were rebuilt from the CL class, the
>> CLF saw a similar working area as the CLs, which was later extended to
>> Melbourne with the standardisation. Meanwhile, the CLP class were intended
>> for hauling the Indian Pacific, Ghan, and Overland. However, this work has
>> since been taken over by other classes. As a result, the CLP class are now
>> seen on freight trains."
>>
>> So, I infer from this CLF were built for freight working and CLP for pass
>> working - but both with the same power train when upgraded from CL..
>>
>> Does anyone know what specific differences and/or improvements were
>> introduced into the CLF and CLP locos when they were rebuilt from the CL
>> class?
>>
>> If you can point me in the direction for further reading, that would be
>> great.
>>

>If I recall, the main diferences between the CLP & CLF Classes were the traction
>motor gear ratios and that the CLP's were fitted with additional diesel
>generators for operating on passenger trains. The other difference was the
>livery applied to the two classes.

>Railway Digest had an article on the CLF/CLP Classes some years back which was
>quite detailed. I could dig it up if you want.

>Jon Lau

The CL to CLF/CLP rebuild was fairly major.
New  EMD 645E3C engines , new D78 traction motors,modern electrics.
I am unsure whether the rebuild included super series,(anyone know.)?
The CLPs have 280 KWH Cummins / Onan diesel alternator sets for HEP and are
geared for 140 kmh running.
The CLFs have long range 11360 litre fuel tanks .(geared for 130 km/h running.)
The ALF rebuild is essentially the same as the CLF other than the loco cab .

MD