Re: Difference between CLF & CLP loco's?

Peter Mason wrote:

> To quote the CLF/CLP page from
> http://locopage.railpage.org.au/anr/clfclp.html the difference between CLF &
> CLP loco's is the following:
>
> Mass 129 t (CLF) 131 t (CLP)
> Speed 130 km/h (CLF) 140 km/h (CLP)
>
> Also from the CLF/CLP page "After they were rebuilt from the CL class, the
> CLF saw a similar working area as the CLs, which was later extended to
> Melbourne with the standardisation. Meanwhile, the CLP class were intended
> for hauling the Indian Pacific, Ghan, and Overland. However, this work has
> since been taken over by other classes. As a result, the CLP class are now
> seen on freight trains."
>
> So, I infer from this CLF were built for freight working and CLP for pass
> working - but both with the same power train when upgraded from CL..
>
> Does anyone know what specific differences and/or improvements were
> introduced into the CLF and CLP locos when they were rebuilt from the CL
> class?
>
> If you can point me in the direction for further reading, that would be
> great.

If I recall, the main diferences between the CLP & CLF Classes were the traction
motor gear ratios and that the CLP's were fitted with additional diesel
generators for operating on passenger trains. The other difference was the
livery applied to the two classes.

Railway Digest had an article on the CLF/CLP Classes some years back which was
quite detailed. I could dig it up if you want.

Jon Lau