Re: [Melb] Swanston Trams Crash.rply

Robert Grub wrote:

> >What I am sick of is the fact that managment treat this job and the
> >maitenance of the trams as a joke. Everyday you prepare a tram for
> >service and there is something wrong with it, weather it is a large or
> >small fault.
>
> So you report it right?  If not, then how does your boss know that the
> tram has a problem.  I don't know much about Health & Safety, but I
> thought that if the tram has a apparent problem (I'm not refering to
> the brake problem....does not seem to be apparent) and you are aware
> of it and still drive it and somebody is injured, then your toast !
>
> (I could be wrong here...stand to be corrected??)
>
>  With your attitude you just line up with every thing
> >managment say....... it the drivers fault.
> >
> >You call me a loser because I am concerned with the fact that one of my
> >fellow workers has been hurt and that the managment knew that the trams
> >were faulty. If you knew that a peice of machinery being operated was
> >potentionaly faulty and some one was killed or hurt, then you are
> >responsible. Why should nt he take them to court?
>
> I knew the tram was faulty....I read it in the Herald-Sun a few weeks
> before this accident occured, didn't you?
>
> I only know about this issue what I have read in the newspaper, but if
> Management knew their was a problem becuase drivers reported it, then
> why did the drivers still drive the trams..after all if they are
> unsafe?

In many cases it does not matter if a fault on the tram is reported,
because it is put in the two hard basket or put off and the tram is sent
out into service. Many times drivers will report a fault with a tram,
bring it into the depot defective and within the hour (with out being
fixed) sent back into service. Managment know all about this, infact
they instruct the depot starters to do it. Privatisation now is a
differant ball game, trams can not be out of service or the company gets
fined. AD Trans who do the maintenance have a contract that every tram
must be ready each morning for service, even though it may have a fault.

The union is also responsible, they know what happens. In fact only last
week our delegate threatened strike action if the W class was not fixed.
They ha a meeting with managment, the union gave them a bit more time to
look into the brake problem and the rest is history....... someone ends
up in hospitial. If they are faulty it is criminal to let them run