Re: [Melb] Swanston Trams Crash.rply

I don't think its fair to level criticism at the union. Strike action
is a serious matter after all. The blame for what has happened (safety,
service and heritage issues) lies primarily with Swanston Trams and
National Express and to a lesser extent with the Director of Public
Transport and the state government.

the regulator should immediately force National Express to put the
reserve trams out into service while the modification to the W's that
caused the problem is rectified.

And Work Cover should prosecute ST/NX for putting their drivers and the
travelling public at risk of injury.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/20000607/A42977-2000Jun6.html

Vaughan

> In many cases it does not matter if a fault on the tram is reported,
> because it is put in the two hard basket or put off and the tram is
sent
> out into service. Many times drivers will report a fault with a tram,
> bring it into the depot defective and within the hour (with out being
> fixed) sent back into service. Managment know all about this, infact
> they instruct the depot starters to do it. Privatisation now is a
> differant ball game, trams can not be out of service or the company
gets
> fined. AD Trans who do the maintenance have a contract that every tram
> must be ready each morning for service, even though it may have a
fault.

> The union is also responsible, they know what happens. In fact only
last
> week our delegate threatened strike action if the W class was not
fixed.
> They ha a meeting with managment, the union gave them a bit more time
> look into the brake problem and the rest is history....... someone
ends
> up in hospitial. If they are faulty it is criminal to let them run

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.