Re: [Melb] Swanston Trams Crash

Chris Gordon <cmgord@alphalink.com.au> writes:

>On the news, two trams crashed in St.Kilda Road near Domain Road about
>1600 (1st June 2000) with one driver trapped.

Urk. I was very nearly in a high speed Swanston Tram crash yesterday.

On a tram heading north along Lygon St, just south of Princes St, around
5.30pm, or so. Traffic was banked right back down the road, waiting at the
lights.

Some idiot in the right hand lane decided to quickly do a U-turn right in
front of the tram, without looking, but couldn't get out because of
traffic and trams heading south. The tram driver hit the brakes, throwing
an old woman out of her seat. The car only just got out of the way in
time.

To make it worse, two more cars did exactly the same thing right in front
of the tram, further north past Princes St.

Why on earth aren't these people taught to drive properly?

Paul.

--
"The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page     | Paul Dwerryhouse
publishing, threatens to reverse the trend towards      | paul@xenu.ee.mu.oz.au