Re: [Melb] Swanston Trams Crash

W-Class wrote:

> >I can tell you that druiving a car is 100 times less stressful than
> >driving a tram. If a car gets into a situation he can always steer away
> >from it. At the moment I am learing to drive the W class at Malvern,
> >they are a peice of shit and should never have been alowed to survive.
>
> Maybe the system would be safer if you were not driving.   If you are
> carying around people when you have an attidude like that, maybe you
> better warn them before they get on.
>
> The "piece of shit" that you mentioned takes skill to drive, but is
> not difficult.
>
> If you are a new driver, then you must know some of the rules
> regarding your job....here is two of them
>
> Rule 81 - Speed
> (a) A Tram must be driven at a safe speed at all times to allow for
> all conditions which may affect normal braking
>
> (b) When going faster than half speed, a tram must be kept at least
> one hundred (100) metres (about three street pole intercals) behind
> the tram in front.
>
> (c) When a tram is slowing down or stoped, the driver of the following
> tram must proceed with caution and be prepared to stop no less than
> one metre from the tram in front
>
> (e) Trams entering or leaving a safery zone must not exceed eight kph.
>
> The rules are for your and your passengers safely, try to follow the
> rules and see how far you get, rather then blame the tram when
> something goes wrong
>
> Oh, the second rule....
>
> Rule 33.        General Conduct
> Employees must not behave in any way likely to put public satefy in
> danger or undermine public confidence........
>
> I guess this rule refers to employees who post messages in newgroups
> giving an "insider" opinion on how unsafe the trams are....oh I forgot
> to mention a "new" employee by the sounds of things....who has no idea
> what a "safe" tram is anyway because he is to scared to notice
>
> >am going to advise the driver involved in the accident to get legal
> >advice so he can sue Swanston trams. They along with the union have
> >alowed these un safe trams to run in the state they are in for a long
> >time.
>
> Sounds to me like you are having trouble coping with the job,and are
> trying to blame others. Only a few weeks into the job and you are
> talking about taking legal action against your employee?  Gee, I can
> see that you are going to last a long time in this job.
>
> >murder. Dont ever think about driving trams for a living, its a
> >dangerous occupation now.>
>
> Why?    Ask any normal driver if they consider the job "dangerous"?
> Many people on the job have over 15 years service..and are proud of
> where they work...maybe you better leave if you even pass your basic
> training.          Of course I'm assuming you get that far because you
> have such a "dangerous job" a
>
> Loser

I have been in the tramways for seven years and the public transport
system for 13 years . I have driven trams for 5 years, so dont give me
this shit about being new. I have transferred from another depot where
they did not have the W class

What I am sick of is the fact that managment treat this job and the
maitenance of the trams as a joke. Everyday you prepare a tram for
service and there is something wrong with it, weather it is a large or
small fault. With your attitude you just line up with every thing
managment say....... it the drivers fault.

You call me a loser because I am concerned with the fact that one of my
fellow workers has been hurt and that the managment knew that the trams
were faulty. If you knew that a peice of machinery being operated was
potentionaly faulty and some one was killed or hurt, then you are
responsible. Why should nt he take them to court?

Thanks for the rule's lesson, I dont need it. But what my freind who was
involved in the accident needed was a tram that had working brakes.