Re: Passenger Trains on Wharves

John Dennis wrote in message
<0aa5b49b.a5959ae2@usw-ex0101-005.remarq.com>...

>But did passenger trains meet boats on the jetty?  (I don't
>know the answer).
>
>If the thread is opened up to include all tracks on jetties and
>wharves then I can add Port Lincoln and Thevenard on the Eyre
>Peninsula.

And also such unlikely places as Menindee, Lismore and  Grafton in NSW. And
probably what I said for Brisbane applied to these places and most others.
The boat came in and you got off and a train came along when it was ready
and you got on and vice versa. Things were a lot less rushed outside
Melbourne, not to mention climatically challenged.

In Sydney, of course, the main passenger shipping terminal was at Circular
Quay and this was not served by train. I have an old Railway Digest of
1960's or 70's vintage showing a special train meeting a ship at one of the
few passenger wharves in Sydney equipped with rails (Pyrmont? Darling
Harbour? No 13). Unfortunately I can't remember what the occasion was.

Barry Campbell