Re: [VIC] R700 and R704 (was: Surviving R classes)

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> I still agree with James on the name board though. There are better ways of
> publicising your organisation, especially since it's not really a
> competitive market.

This is what I think a fair compromise would be:

- R761, D3 639, K153, A2 986 (when restored) presented in the proper VR livery
with no headboard or nameplates.
- Leave K183 and K190 in their current condition.
- For the locos without headboards, use one of those large signs with "Vintage
Train" for tours like the Bendigo Easter fair or Bacchus Marsh trips. Ie:
general public tours.
- For the R classes, the magnets could be used instead of the current wooden
headboards. This would mean that no alterations would be required on the front
of the loco. With the current headboards you can see where it is supposed to go
even when it's removed
- Don't use any signs or headboards on railfan tours, especially weekenders.

This would mean that there would be two colourful locos for the normal "public"
tours and the R classes would also be able to carry a headboard for these
"public" tours. This would also provide Steamrail with much the same
advertising as it recieves at the moment. The long distance railfan tours
always leave too early and arrive back too late for most people in Melbourne to
see the headboard. Wouldn't most of Steamrail's potential charter customers
come from Melbourne? Also do most charter customers contact Steamrail directly,
or do they go to V/Line pass first asking how do they charter a steam train? I
also think that if the headboard was really neccessary to survive, then the
SRHC wouldn't be here today.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: