Re: Bad attitude

"Garry Hoddinett" <hoddos@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
8yLh4.7036$3b6.34533@ozemail.com.au">news:8yLh4.7036$3b6.34533@ozemail.com.au...

> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> 388710CD.AC9872EF@ozemail.com.au">news:388710CD.AC9872EF@ozemail.com.au...
> >
> > "Passengers are not to talk to the driver.  Guards will give any
> information."
> > That is the sticker on the driver's door.  At least he answered your
first
> > question.
> >
> If you want to be pedantic about it - I was not a passenger.

What were you doing on the platform then?

>  I take it you
> are inferring that it is perfectly satisfactory if the guard didn't pick
up
> on the incorrect station indicators (and I've seen this) and the driver
> did - for the train to continue on its merry way inconveniencing many
people
> when they found the train didn't stop at the stations they were expecting?

But the Guard DID pick up on the incorrect indicator.

> I'm sure the inconvenienced passengers would have a different perspective
on
> the matter.  You seem to miss the point - it was just a simple matter for
> the driver to contact the guard to say "are those platform indicators
> right?" - yet he wasn't prepared to do that.

Did you ever think the Driver may have bought it to the attention of the
Guard as he was coming into the platform and thought there was not any need
to talk to passengers as the Guard was in control of the matter.

> A simple action that could
> have averted inconveniencing a number of people.  I've seen train driver's
> give a short blast on their horn to warn station staff as they have passed
> incorrect platform indicators.  That is probably not in the rule book but
it
> is doing the right thing for CityRail's customers.  I think the majority
of
> CityRail's drivers would have done the right thing by their passengers -
> this was just one mean spirited driver.

How do you know he hadn't had to put up with the same thing for the last
couple of stations and was fed up with it? He may also have been coming to
the end of his shift after working in sweat boxes in 40 deg heat for the
last 8 hours. The point is the Guard did the right thing and everything was
under control as far as the stopping pattern of the train was concerned.