Re: Surviving R classes (was: West Coast Railway and 6042 - AD60 Garrett)

----------
In article <3883fb5d@nap-ns1>, "Lineman" <grime@dcsi.net.au> wrote:

>Just out of interest,did the bright sparks who came up with the great swap
>actually consider the idea that James has put forward.
>Is the fundamental condition of 700 better than 704 ,was the ARHS sounded
>out to consider a 3 way swap,is there something stopping this idea from
>being turned into reality,because frankly in this instance I gotta say I
>agree with you James.
>Mileage R700 192,447
>R704 200,818

Can't say it was considered, but remember the boiler condition of R704 was
fairly poor when it went into the museum, besides it works both ways, it
would be just as nice to see the class leader running again rather than
being 'stuffed and mounted'. It depends what side of the fence you look at
it from.

Stuart Thyer
Photographer
University of Melbourne