Surviving R classes (was: West Coast Railway and 6042 - AD60 Garrett)

Rob Kearey wrote:

> Ah - I was under the impression there were more R's lurking on plinths
> in parks and suchlike.

There have only been two R class locomotives on a plinth in a park. R766 and R711, and
these were both at Bendigo. R766 was placed in the park outside the station in the
early 70s (I think). In the early 80's Steam Age removed R766 for restoration and
replaced it with R711, which ended up being removed by WCR several years ago.The only
Rs left are:

R700 - SRV (about to be restored by WCR)
R704 - ARHS museum (static exhibit)
R707 - 707 operations (operational)
R711 - WCR ("super R", operational)
R753 - 707 operations (storage)
R761 - SRV (operational)
R766 - WCR (undergoing rebuild into a "super R" by WCR)

(I think they are all listed here)

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: