Re: No Y2k Bug

David McLoughlin wrote:

> pdwyer wrote:
>
> > And the media? Well, they're only on the lookout for the next crisis.
> > Facts are things which just get in the way. They were informed of the
> > state of play, and should've relayed the information.
>
> Indeed they were and should have done. Here in Auckland, the water
> company attempted to point out that the water was gravity fed and not
> reliant on computers (or even electricity for several days if the power
> failed). But the water company got a line at the end of a story on page
> 27 while the front pages and the TV and radio kept urging people to buy
> bottled water and fill their bathtubs. The water company tried to point
> out that if everyone filled their bathtubs, it would be a huge waste of
> water, and that when nothing happened, the effect of everyone emptying
> their tubs at the same time could flood the sewers. But that only got a
> line on page 27 too.
>
> The most bizarre thing is that Auckland has some of the purest tap water
> in the world. If people wanted to stockpile drinking water, they could
> have just bottled their tap water. But no, the media was urging everyone
> to go to the supermarket and buy imported bottled water (which the sheep
> did in their tens of thousands and the supermarkets happily complied
> with, importing the stuff by the ship and planeload).

Now come on. Every news item featured, and every
supermarket I saw, was selling
Kiwi Blue and H2GO in great volumes (and now has
it on special!). Neither of
those is imported. And Auckland water in the last
two weeks has been so foul
with Chlorine that I've had to make tea with
bottled water anyway because the
tap version was undrinkable. fortunately I only
dring one cup of tea per day.