Re: No Y2k Bug

Urbanophile wrote:

> The cat walked across hfung@smtp.as.csupomona.edu (Henry Fung)'s
> keyboard and wrote:

> >> and I noticed that the
> >>prices of bottled water, batteries, flashlights, and radios had gone
> >>up about 25-30% since last week.
> >>

> I expect that a lot of people are there today returning these things.

A cartoon in one of the morning papers here had a store advertising Y2K
water at 50pc off.

> I hear that there were some problems with bus ticketing machines in
> Tasmania.

A minor software problem with one type of portable validator. The Y2K
"consultant" who'd taken the LOOT for checking them is apparently being
sought for a refund.

The media were claiming there would be catastrophic failures of
virtually everything electrical, and that we'd be wiped out by the
uncontrolled launching of Russia's ICBM.

I find it amusing that the very media ignoramuses who promoted this
fantasy in my country are today running stories attacking Y2K
consultants for milking everyone over a non-existent bug.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand