Re: No Y2k Bug

In article <386ec294@news.iprolink.co.nz>, David McLoughlin
<davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote:
> The media were claiming there would be catastrophic failures of
>virtually everything electrical, and that we'd be wiped out by the
>uncontrolled launching of Russia's ICBM.

> I find it amusing that the very media ignoramuses who promoted this
> fantasy in my country are today running stories attacking Y2K
> consultants for milking everyone over a non-existent bug.

But it wasn't a non-existent bug. The bugs found where I work were the
ones that you'd least suspect, and yes, if they hadn't been found the
public would've noticed.

A lot of time and money was spent by government and large corporations
after KPMG revealed in 1998(7?) that the cost of lawsuits WOULD equal
or exceed  the cost of investigation and repair. Oh, and public
inconvenience :-)

Those in the area of Y2K investigation knew that by August that enough
systems had been checked in essential services to know armageddon
wasn't going to occur.

'Live' Testing was carried out around my work, which although nothing
untoward occured, highlighted a few issues which were fireed off to
people to rectify. This type of testing as it appears, wasn't carried
out on those transit systems that failed in SA & TAS.

And the media? Well, they're only on the lookout for the next crisis.
Facts are things which just get in the way. They were informed of the
state of play, and should've relayed the information.