SG Toowoomba Line (was Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?)

In article <3a401fae.15807893@can-news.tpg.com.au>,
  mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> >> The information on the ATEC web site (http://www.aire.com.au)
suggests
> >> that QR will be involved as a joint venture partner.
> >
> >> As for QR undertaking to build its own electrified standard gauge
> >> Toowoomba, all I can say is that would make no sense at all!
> >
> >It was specifically an electrified sg line for coal haulage and has
been
> >on the cards for some time.
> >
> >> Firstly, there's a lot of 3'6" gauge trackage beyond Toowoomba
> >
> >Which would eventually also be regauged as the first step in
regauging the
> >entire state. Queensland nearly regauged the entire state in the 50s.
>
> You have gotta be kidding.
> Reguaging from narrow guage to standard means new earthworks and a
> complete set of new sleepers.
> In short not much less than the cost of an entire new rail system.
> Not a chance in hell.
> And for what possible purpose?

I doubt anyone would seriously consider regauging the QR - the
cost would be prohibitive. Queensland gave some consideration to
regauging around the time of the Clapp proposal for a Melbourne - Darwin
line (1949?).  There was also further consideration to re-building the
Mt Isa to Townsville line as standard gauge in the 1950s, but heavy (for
the 1950s) 3'6" gauge was chosen instead - this was QLDs first "A" class
line.

The next time standard gauge was considered was the Moura Short Line,
which was originally proposed as electrified standard gauge, but the QLD
Government insisted on it being built as an integral part of the 3'6" QR
network.  The Moura line was omitted from the huge 1980s coal line
electrifications due to lack of tonnage.

More recently, there have been firm proposals for diesel standard gauge
from the Darling Downs (Chinchilla - Brigalow area) to Tarong, thence to
Bundaberg or Gladstone.  These were originally proposed by a group
called SUDAW, now by Tarong Energy, but have encountered vehement
opposition from land holders in the area.

As for a standard gauge Toowoomba line, I haven't heard of any such
proposal from QR although it may be commercial-in-confidence.  The QLD
government has funded a corridor study for the "Grandchester to Gowrie
Railway", but nothing was mentioned about gauge or whether the line
would be electrified (although the smart money is on it being moderately
high speed 25KV electrification, much like the Gold Coast line).

I would be interested from hearing from any QR types on this group about
the validity or otherwise of David's claims about QR considering a
standard gauge coal line via Toowoomba - I don't have enough information
to say whether this is true - I just haven't heard anything about such a
proposal.

cheers,
Colin

--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colin dot weaver at boeing dot com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/