Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

Colin Weaver (colingw@my-deja.com) wrote:
> In article <UQe_5.1250$Le6.12542@news0.optus.net.au>,
>   dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> > petercook2705@my-deja.com wrote:
> > > If you could realign Douglas Park-Mittagong and rebuild Goulburn-
> > > Canberra, getting rid of most of the slow areas, then bring the rest
> up
> > > to scratch for 160km/h-plus operations, and Electrify the lot, you
> > > could use modified V-sets (or a new design of a similar nature (21st
> > > century U-Boats with a lounge car, satellite phones and a buffet
> > > perhaps)) on this run.
> >
> > I'd rather see an off the shelf diesel or electric tilt train.

> I'm sure Walkers & QR could help out there,

The problem is the Hitachi tilt mechanism is not suitable unless you
upgrade the track first. Ditto the Fiat tilt mechanism used by Siemens.

The Adtranz tilt mechanism has the lateral suspension below the tilt,
therefore you need only conventional airbag suspension to the car body.
This gives a much smoother ride on rough track.

Cheers
David