Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

In article <UQe_5.1250$Le6.12542@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> petercook2705@my-deja.com wrote:
> > If you could realign Douglas Park-Mittagong and rebuild Goulburn-
> > Canberra, getting rid of most of the slow areas, then bring the rest
up
> > to scratch for 160km/h-plus operations, and Electrify the lot, you
> > could use modified V-sets (or a new design of a similar nature (21st
> > century U-Boats with a lounge car, satellite phones and a buffet
> > perhaps)) on this run.
>
> I'd rather see an off the shelf diesel or electric tilt train.

I'm sure Walkers & QR could help out there, upgraded for 200Km/h plus
running and 8 degrees of tilt of course.  I suspect diesel tilt might be
the way to go for a Canberra service, unless you wanted to invest in
dual voltage (1500V DC / 25KV AC) hardware or build a 1500V DC tilt
train.

Ok, we've done the Canberra question to death - what about the longer
run to Melbourne and the even more difficult question of a viable
Brisbane - Sydney line?

cheers,
Colin

--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colin dot weaver at boeing dot com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/