Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

In article <ubXZ5.1154$Le6.7032@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:05:17 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
> > Bromage) wrote:
>
> > >I should have added that some of the technologies, e.g. Talgo and
Adtranz,
> > >can be done incrementally. You start by running diesel tilt trains
(e.g.
> > >Sydney - Canberra) on the existing line at conventional speeds.
Then start
> > >upgrading the line, and finally electrify.
> > >
> > >The advantage of this is you can be getting income from fares
before you
> > >start building, rather than 3 years of construction before the
first fare
> > >is paid.
>
> > Theoretically yes, but in practice no.
> > Whilst the existing lines are Govt owned ,the private sector will
take
> > no interest whatsoever in upgrading them .
>
> This is exactly what Capital Rail proposed to do. The consortium
included
> Countrylink.
>
> Cheers
> David

My 10 cents worth.

The incremental approach is also effectively what QR has done to the QLD
North Coast Line between Brisbane & Rockhampton over the last 15 or so
years.  The combined effect of the massive deviations and
electrification have almost halved the passenger timings between
Brisbane & Rockhampton in the last 20 years, although the biggest single
improvement was probably the introduction of the Spirit of Capricorn ICE
sets in 1989.  With further deviations on the mostly unimproved section
between Caboolture & Gympie North, it's possible to imagine times coming
down even further.  I just wish QR would let the Tilt run at 200 Km/h
where track alignment & condition permits.

I think a similar incremental approach would benefit Sydney - Melbourne
(and Melbourne - Adelaide), with Sydney - Melbourne eventually
warranting electrification.  I doubt the current NSW North Coast Line
between Sydney & Brisbane can be salvaged in the longer term - unless
the Melbourne - Brisbane line happens (with suitable connections to
Sydney) I think there is almost no future for rail between QLD and the
rest of the country.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the Sydney - Brisbane line
could be usefully upgraded?

cheers,
Colin

--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colin dot weaver at boeing dot com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/