Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

Colin Weaver wrote:

> My 10 cents worth.
>
> The incremental approach is also effectively what QR has done to the QLD
> North Coast Line between Brisbane & Rockhampton over the last 15 or so
> years.  The combined effect of the massive deviations and
> electrification have almost halved the passenger timings between
> Brisbane & Rockhampton in the last 20 years, although the biggest single
> improvement was probably the introduction of the Spirit of Capricorn ICE
> sets in 1989.  With further deviations on the mostly unimproved section
> between Caboolture & Gympie North, it's possible to imagine times coming
> down even further.  I just wish QR would let the Tilt run at 200 Km/h
> where track alignment & condition permits.
>
> I think a similar incremental approach would benefit Sydney - Melbourne
> (and Melbourne - Adelaide), with Sydney - Melbourne eventually
> warranting electrification.

Spot on. There is vast amounts that we can do now by upgrading existing
infrastructure to improve services; trouble is getting a private bidder
interested in it. The Acela is a good example. Rather than spend money
on an entirely new dedicated line, Amtrak upgraded the Northeast
Corridor to just below true high speed standard, geared the train for a
slightly lower speed (a top of 240km/h), and still made significant
savings timewise over the incumbent Metroliners. Realignment between
Campbelltown and Mittagong, rebuilding Goulburn-Canberra and
electrification to Canberra IMO would be an excellent start at
relatively low cost; given some success in attracting people away from
the bus, a significant amount of infrastructure would be in place for
future extension. It's the Sydney to Melbourne corridor that rail needs
to concentrate on, not Sydney to Brisbane. The latter just doesn't have
enough traffic, even for the coachlines, to make it worthwhile.

> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the Sydney - Brisbane line
> could be usefully upgraded?

It just can't be IMO either, in terms of improving it for speed
purposes. The North Coast line's future passengerwise IMO is as a
tourist line, and freightwise I think it would be better off running via
the Main North and linking up with Melbourne-Brisbane. Even if that
isn't built, a relatively small investment in rebuilding the line
through Wallangarra would save a lot of time and attract a lot more
business.

Dion