Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

Colin Weaver wrote in message <919jmj$vu1$1@nnrp1.deja.com>...
>The incremental approach is also effectively what QR has done to the QLD
>North Coast Line between Brisbane & Rockhampton over the last 15 or so
>years.  The combined effect of the massive deviations and
>electrification have almost halved the passenger timings between
>Brisbane & Rockhampton in the last 20 years, although the biggest single
>improvement was probably the introduction of the Spirit of Capricorn ICE
>sets in 1989.  With further deviations on the mostly unimproved section
>between Caboolture & Gympie North, it's possible to imagine times coming
>down even further.  I just wish QR would let the Tilt run at 200 Km/h
>where track alignment & condition permits.

<snip>

But the passenger timings between Brisbane and Rocky are still unbelievably
slow. I went to Great Keppel a few months ago and it was just too damn
inconvenient to spend half the day on the Tilt Train compared to under two
hours on a plane - and that was the milk run via Bundy and Gladstone in a
turbo prop. Incremental only works if you want to carry pensioners fast.
(See newspaper reports on the Tilt Train)

Barry Campbell