Re: DOO In Sydney?

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:56:22 +1000, Eddie Oliver
<eoliver@efs.mq.edu.au> wrote:

>A basic problem with the management (at all levels) of railways in
>Australia, as well as the arguments on these newsgroups, is that there
>is always the belief that there is absolute uniqueness in one location.

A good point. I am sure that I have heard that argument used by the
old NZ Government Railways. Today things are different.

Second hand DMUs, coal wagons, locos and BR carriages. I believe that
the DMUs went into service with very little work whereas the BR cars
atre being completely rebuilt. However, the point is that it was
possible to use existing stock rather than waiting years for special,
one off stock to be designed and built (at a much greater cost).

Once upon a time I worked in a big Government Department/SOE (not
rail) and believed that the way we did things in our neck of rhe woods
was the only way given our *local circumstances*. National
standardisation would not work. Of course it did work!  And of course
my collegues and I were no longer needed so it is obvious why we
believed in the uniquness of our location (-;