Re: DOO In Sydney?

Exnarc wrote:

> All of the arguements I've read so far are based on opinion, like Sydney is
> different, or Sydney is bigger, or this platform is this curvie , or two
> trains depart at the same time in the same direction,  (just like Richmond,
> and Flinders Street or Caulfield and Camberwell) the list just goes on, but
> no hard facts.

A basic problem with the management (at all levels) of railways in
Australia, as well as the arguments on these newsgroups, is that there
is always the belief that there is absolute uniqueness in one location.
Sydney can't have DOO trains because Sydney is unique; Melbourne tram
passengers can't reasonably validate their tickets because Melbourne
trams are unique; and on a larger scale, all manner of things have to be
done differently in Australia because Australia is unique.

Don't people ever stop to think that if something works very well in
many other parts of the world, chances are that claims to "uniqueness"
are more accurately demonstrations of obstinacy?

Eddie Oliver