Re: DOO In Sydney?

In <RXztN=YPH1fObNCRb3bHCaXMltyk@4ax.com> billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) writes:

>"Exnarc" <gwrly@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>> They aren't so in those cases you use CCTV Monitors on the platforms, as
>> does Melbourne now. The provision of vandal proof roller doors are of cause
>> essential as are hoods to shield the screens during bright sunlight. Either
>> way its cheaper than providing CCTV everywhere!!!

>The technology exists today to readily put flat display video screens
>in the drivers cab, then there's no vandalisation problems or daylight
>visibility problems.

But how do you counter the train and platform length issue? You either need
a very large display screen in the driver's cab to show simultaneous
multiple images for curved platforms which would require at least 3 or more
cameras to give anything approaching reasonable coverage which would be
legally acceptable in terms of public liability insurance, etc.

The alternative of having a smaller screen, sequencing through a series of
camera images every few seconds is not acceptable at all.

It still comes right back to the issue of train, platform and population
size. These are the key factors which Perth does not have to face at all
(yet), and Melbourne has smaller, single deck trains so they don't get as
many people on their trains anyway.

Handling an 8 car train at say Wollstonecraft station in the morning peak
with video cameras linked to a display unit in the driver's cab is going to
be *very* difficult to deal with... Too many issues all play together to
make an adequate resolution to the issue hard to achieve.

And having platform-mounted display units in secure cabinets is just not
going to work at all since that would mean than every train, regardless of
length, has to pull up at the departure end of the platform no matter what.
Admittedly that would be more of a cultural change than anything else, but
changing the *passenger's* cultural views on where trains pull up will be
much harder to achieve!

I don't believe there is going to be any workable way of having DOO with no
guard-like person to assist drivers, at least during the daytime. Perhaps at
night after 10 pm trains can run DOO, but what about special events, etc.
like NYE when we run trains 24/7 with full peak-time loadings all night?
Can't do that DOO! At least not with any degree of passenger and crew safety
that's acceptable.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport