Re: CityRail Urban Myths (Was How can we make trains run later?)

Michael <mk@netstra.com.au> wrote in message
8E4ED0967telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net">news:8E4ED0967telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net...
> Upon my last trip to Sydney, the passengers seemed to be the most
> inconsiderate pigs in the country. In Victoria, we let people out before
> getting into the train, and it's a system that works very well, and 80%
> of the time people actually do this. In Sydney, it's supposed to happen
> but doesn't.

An easy way around that - you stick your elbows out as you are getting off
the train and you hit as many people as you can, as hard as you can, in the
ribs. When they complain, tell them to wait for people to get off before
they try joining.

> And despite the lack of an extra door, people wonder why it takes so long
> to load/unload a train in Sydney where (mostly) in Melbourne it's quite
> fast an efficient.
>
> I will say, Melbournites have a habbit of congregating in the doorways
> when there is ample aisle space (particularly in Comengs). There has been
> at least once, where there has been aisle space available to stand on a
> comeng, but the doorways were that full that no-one could get into the
> train. This was the dn. BMS, ex FSS at 17:26 (I attempted to board at
> NME). FYI, the 17:26 dn. BMS ex. FSS is the only afternoon express
> service (running express from NME-MPD).

I would sya it is the extra door - the carriages in Sydney hold more people
seated than a carriage in Melbourne - yet Melbourne has more doors - hence
they can load and unload far quicker. This is one of the problems of double
deck carriages.

DaveP