Re: 240 volts on tangaras and the 4d set

In article <Pk4F3.55$Lz.571769@news0.optus.net.au>,
Scott Beecham <snoa@ezeelynx.com.au> wrote:
>Yup It is exactly the same on at least one of the tangaras up here, I only
>noticed it the other day. I was actually going to ask somebody if it is
>always always powered up and what it would be used for(I'm guessing cleaning
>purposes).

 I belive that was the official reason - to power cleaning gear.

>> [1] Yes, i've seen this happen, really. FYI, im not sure about the
>Tangara,
>> but the 4D has a pretty standard power point at the end of the top deck.
>> Not sure about the voltage of it though, and how successful it is to
>> charge/burn/fry a laptop using it.

 I plugged a multimeter in a Tangara when they first came out. The voltage
was quite stable and did NOT vary when the train set 'powered' or slowed.

 I never did try an CRO on it to see how good the sine wave was and if it
had switching spikes in it. My CRO was to large and heavy. :-)