Re: Melb 4D fails for last time

Eric Cartman <erk_cartman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
937574262.697057@diddley.primus.com.au">news:937574262.697057@diddley.primus.com.au...
> A couple of questions from a Sydneysider who has only seen the 4D from a
> distance:

There are a few things to be considered here:

> 1) Has the 4D run since this thread was started?
> 2) If Hillside put as much "effort" into maintaining/running this train
> compared to their other stock, would the train be on it's deathbed?

The 4D takes a lot of effort to maintain - being non-standard, I would
imagine that there would be very few maintenance staff that were able to do
it. On the other hand, with the number of M&K's and Comeng's running around,
the availability of parts and the knowledge base of staff would be be enough
to ensure theya re kept running.

> 3) What would happen every time people retired a train if (when) it
> failed.........

If they did this to other trains, then it would be unjustifiable. But sooner
or later, the cost of maintaining a single, one-off train outweighs the cost
of replacing it.

> 4) Would Sydney's Tangara still be around if it fails as much as the 4D?

Sydney has 480 of the things - much easier to maintain when you have that
many of them.

DaveP